Home Page

Family Photos

Favorite Links Page and Search

Family Tree

Land Transaction



Contact Page and Message Board

Whats New Page

ICQ Contact



Captain Rudolph Papst

Capt Rudolph's parents were John Joseph Papst/Sarah Ross French and they were married on the 23 June 1838. Capt Rudolph was born 25 Dec 1858 in York County, Ontario. It looks like he immigrated to Michigan in the spring of 1858 from Goderich, Ontario. Capt was married twice. The first marriage (3 April 1864) was to Emily Banghart and they had two children, Edwin Tecumseh Papst and Rudolph Papst, Jr. Emily died and Capt Rudolph married Eleanor Frances Lewis (1892). They had one daughter Anna Alicia Papst (1893), who was a spinster school teacher in Detroit for
40 years. She never married. Some of his civil war duties were


On November 12, 1864, Sherman marched out of Atlanta toward the Atlantic coast. Tracing a line of march between Macon and Augusta, he carved a sixty-mile wide swath of destruction in the Confederacy's heartland. The only forces the Confederacy could bring to oppose him was Wheeler's cavalry and a motley collection of militia and over and under-aged reserves of perhaps 14,000 troops; certainly no match for the 62,000 Union veterans Sherman had kept with him upon leaving Atlanta.
His army marched in two large columns under the command of Howard and Slocum. Sherman reached Savannah on December 10. The Confederate garrison could not hope to prevent its capture, so evacuated the city with 10,000 troops via a pontoon bridge. Sherman presented Savannah to Lincoln as a "Christmas gift".
Sherman did not linger long at Savannah, and despite the miserable winter weather was soon on the march again. The Confederate forces in the region were fragmented at this time, with troop concentrations under Hardee and Beauregard, who could do little with the forces either had at hand, to slow Sherman down.
Columbia, South Carolina, captured on February 17, 1865, was dealt with particularly harshly by Sherman's men. Two-thirds of the city was burned down, although it was probably done at their own initiative rather than under any orders from Sherman. Many Federal troops held a special hatred for South Carolina because they felt the state was responsible for starting the war.
Finally, too late to really make any difference, Robert E. Lee was named General-in-Chief of the Confederacy's armed forces and Joe Johnston was given command of all remaining forces in North Carolina. Reinforcements from the tattered remnants of the Army of Tennessee would arrive via a patchwork railroad/overland route from Tupelo to join other commands under Beauregard, Bragg, and Hardee, but these were too few and too late.
Johnston looked for an opportunity to do some damage to Sherman's Federal steamroller and finally saw an opportunity on March 19, 1865. Slocum's and Howard's columns had become widely separated and Johnston concentrated his available troops (about 21,000 effectives) near Bentonville to try and crush Slocum's column before Howard could come to his support. Initially the Confederate attacks went well, but Slocum was able to bring up reinforcements to withstand the repeated assaults. Little fighting took place on March 20, but on the 21st Sherman's entire command was in position to launch a counterattack. Johnston skillfully beat back the Federal attacks and retreated that night toward Smithfield.



Regarding the name PABST, etc., there are various German spelling, including BABST, BAPST, PABST and PAPST. The meaning is "Pope" and the latter spelling PAPST, agress with the spelling of the German word for Pope. The name Pope appears in English, of course. The most common spelling in German is PABST. In Brechenmacher's book on German surnames states that the name has nothing to do with religious affiliation. But has to do with excessive "pope-like" pride and self-assurance. The name appears quite early when surnames came into being (pre-Reformation) first as PAPA (1242, BABEST (1250), BEPST (1294), or PAVES (1322). The name is common and it occurs all over Germany and is familiar pratically everywhere. But it appears especially in Saxony and in other places now in East Germany.

source: Thode Translations

John Wood UEL

John Wood, born c1764, my great great grandfather, is said to be buried in
Spring Hill Cemetery. He was the 4th son of Jonas Wood b 1737 and his wife
, Sarah Osborne b; 1735. Jonas lived at Kakkiat N.Y. but moved to the east
branch of the Delaware, N.Y. where they established a farm and 8 children
were born: Jonas 1760, Benjamin 1761: William 1762: John !764: Roger 1766:
Nathaniel 1770: Sarah 1772. Jonas came to Canada in 1780 because of the
part he played in the American Revolution. In his Claim for losses dated
at Montreal, 28 Feb 1788, Jonas says he always took an active part in favour
of Great Britain and was taken prisoner by the Rebels in 1778 for assisting
British Scouts. He was tried for his life at Esopus for murder. He broke
gaol and escaped to Canada after being four weeks in distress in the woods.
He never served in any corps. He had 4 sons in the army and resides in New
Johnstown. He had 50 acres of improved land on the Delaware. He had built
himself a house and a barn and stable, all burnt and destroyed by the
rebels. He drove his cattle to Col. Butler. He lost 9 horses, 30 sheep, 2
calves, 12 hogs and furniture and farming utensils and a loom and crops in
the barn. Jonas Jr. and Ben were in the Butler's Rangers; William, John,
and Roger were listed in the Kings Royal Regiment of New York. The 2
youngest- Nathan and Steve were naturally too young to fight. The mother
Sarah after a hazardous journey reunited with her husband and sons on the
Isle of Jeus in the St. Lawarence.

This was written by a Wood relative who lived in Vernon, Ontario


Johan "Adam" Pabst ( aka Papst; embarked at the Bay of Philadelphia, Pennasylvania about 1750, died in Osnabruck Township, Storemont County around 1803-1807) married Eva Maria Hamm b; 1736 married in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Rudolph (1760-1829)
Daniel Frederick (1768-1847) John Adam (1775-1869)
wife; Elizabeth Zettle wife; Mary Werley wife; Elizbeth McWilliams

children children; children

1. Catherine 1787 John F. 1795 John 1797
2. Jacob 1789 Frederick 1798 Rudolph 1803
3. Christine 1791 Mary 1798 David 1805
4. Mary Barbara 1794 Susannah 1800 Fredeick 1809
5. Anne 1797 Elizabeth 1800 Alfred 1815
6. Adam 1800 Peter 1803 George Adam 1818
7. Diedrich (Richard) 1802 George 1804 Margaret 1819
8. Henry C. 1805 Catherine 1807 Isaac 1824
9. William 1806 Ann 1810 Caroline 1828
10. Daniel David 1811 Margaret 1813
11. John Joeseph 1812 Jacob F. 1818

Adam's Daughters
1. Margaret married Johannes Lenhardt
2. Catherine married Jacob Sheets
3. Elizabeth married Gottlieb Otto *
4. Mary married John Fetterly
5. Mary Barbara married Franz Otto * * = Brothers


The Village of Leonard

The area of Leonard was colonized in the1870s. A Mr. Rathwell was one of the earliest settlers in the area. During the 1880s a rural school was built in the area and used until 1928. In 1890, Dunning Road was opened between Cumberland Village and Bear Brook. In 1897 the railroad tracks weres laid in for the CPR line. In 1899, the construction of a new Cumberland Township Townhall began in Leonard to replace the one in Cumberland village. A post office was officially established in 1901. From 1898 to 1904, the postmaster was R.J. Moffatt and from 1904 to 1915, the postmaster was H. Pariseau, general store owner. In 1908, a train station was built and named after William James Leonard, the superintendent of the CPR for Ontario and Quebec. In fact, Mr. Pariseau named the village after the train station. The village included general stores, one blacksmith, an hotel, and the Poaps saw and grist mill. The station master was Ron Courier. In 1910, the population was 100. In 1914 the population decreased to 75. In 1914, there were a general store, the Poaps sawmill, and a hotel in the village. From 1915 to 1926, James Troy, general store owner was postmaster.

During the 1920s, there were a general store, a hotel, the Poaps sawmill, a grocery and a blacksmith. From 1927 to 1929 Carson Rathwell, a general store owner, was postmaster. From 1929 to 1963 Mrs. Carson Rathwell was the postmistress. During the 1940s there was still the Poaps sawmill, and a hotel. The population was still 75.

In 1946, a new Cumberland Township Townhall was built in Leonard to replace the old one. In 1947 the Poaps sawmill was still active.

On August 22nd 1964, there was a passenger train accident at the train station. The train station was later torn down later that year. From 1963 to 1968, Mrs. Charles Rathwell was the postmistress. In 1969, the Leonard post office closed. The CPR tracks were lifted in 1986.The year 1989 saw the closure of the Town hall and the opening of the new one on Centrum Boulevard in Orleans. Today there are six historic homes left in the village.

(Most data taken from early 20th Century Business Directories)

Among the papers of Albert Wilson Otto (1856-1937) of Cut Knife, Sask., held by his descendants, is an account he recorded 1930 of an incident involving John Poapst. I know of no reason it would be passed down in the Otto family if it weren’t related to the family of Johan Adam Papst.
" John Poapst was shot in the War of Independence with a charge of buckshot and was badly wounded. He managed to get away and his in a mow of hay in a barn. The enemy saw him and came into the barn looking for him. One of them came into the hay to look for him, and it was said by some of the old people that once it passed down through the hair of his head, but he laid quiet as he could and was not discovered by them. His wound was very painful and he was nearly starved with nothing to eat, but was afraid to venture out of his hiding place. When night came an old darkey and his wife came into the barn to do up some evening chores and he heard her saying, "I wonder where that poor man is? If I knew I would get him something to eat. " John thought that this was only a ruse to pure him out to capture him, so he did not let them know that he heard them. The next evening he again hear her saying the same thing, but was still afraid that it only was a ruse to make him come out, so he lay still. His wound was now so painful and he was so hungry that he saw that he would die anyway. He made up his mind that if he heard her saying that again that he would venture out, which he did and nearly scared them into to fits for they were very superstitious and they thought he was a ghost. The old lady went to their cabin and brought him something to eat and then they hid him again until after night and the old darkey paddled him across the river to the British lines. After many narrow escapes, John at last reached the British lines in safety."


Genevieve M. Templeton Was the Next to the last child of thirteen children born to Frederick W. Templeton and Elizabeth J. Papst, with my grandfather ( Rudolph Papst Templeton) being the thirteenth. Genevieve wrote a letter in may of 1966, I beleive to my father. In this letter she gave some family history. I well copy a few paragraphs from the last page, as it pertains to the Papst family. I haven't much on the Papst side of the family, only family tales. One was the original Papst was an officer in the German army, and he fell inlove with a serving maid, and as is the custom in then German army an officer can not marry beneath their rank, so the tale goes. He had her sent over to England and resigned his office in the German army and married the gal, and brought her to U.S. Landing in Pennsyliania at Phila. where in the Revolutionery War. The German (or Hessians) sympathized with the English and as the account says, when the colonial army was right on the heals of the Hessians the Germans just got across into the Canadian border with the American army at their backs. So they got into Toronto, and I understand that is where they the Papst Hessians got their 160 acres on Young Street in Toronto, and which grandfather John Papst sold when he went to California. The story goes that Old Granny Papst had when she fled the colonial army was baby on one arm and a black cooking pot on the other. I have often heard my mother say "old Granny Papst couldn't speak English, so she must have lived a long time. There was an old Dutch Bible with family record in it. I have heard her say her uncle Henry took it to California and when my mother went out there she brought it back, much worn out.

source: Harry Templeton,


copywright 2001. jpoaps